Friday 1 May 2015

Waiting to start... a Kiwi Flag for R


My lovely young man R has not had a quilt made for him since he was four!  He is now 11 and kiddies vintage transport just doesn't cut it anymore!

So after some discussion he has decided he wants a New Zealand flag, (he's a very loyal Kiwi living in Australia).  I have recently seen an Australian flag quilt designed by Sarah Fielke in Quilters Companion 'Great Australian Quilts', so other than re-arranging the stars this pattern will do nicely!  (There is very little difference between the New Zealand and Australian flags, just two stars in fact, the Aussie flag has six stars. and the Kiwi flag has four..I'm starting to sound like Sheldon from 'The Big Bang'...enough of this!)


I have been collecting up dark navy fabrics for a short while, and 'oh dear..it did require me to purchase some more', but I think I have enough now.

The quilt has to include one square, (the final one) of precious fabric kept from R's favorite preschool shorts.  He wore then until they were far too small for him and would not allow me to throw them away, so there was some in his transport quilt and enough remaining for one background square in this new quilt - it's the fabric above and below with the red, orange, green and pale blue stars.


I can't wait to start cutting this one out (and R can't wait either), BUT I must finish quilting one for my niece E first!

Linking up to Lily's Quilts Fresh Sewing Day

4 comments:

  1. I also purchased this magazine for the cover! Like yourself, I was going to make it into a NZ flag for a friend, but have decided to make it as is as a gift for my step-dad's 60th next year. I have decided to make it scrappier, & have collected about 7m of over 20 different kinds of fabric. I hope it turns out as good as Sarah Fielke's! I look forward to following your progress. This will take me all winter, I should think - it's a HUGE quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy. All the encouragement I need to keep me going! Good luck with your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering how you are coming along with your quilt!
    I have just finished cutting all the squares and piecing the triangles!
    My seams were not that great for the triangle blocks and quite a few came out too small (perhaps needs a scant 1/4in?) so I found it more accurate to cut them from 4inch squares then trim them to size after they were pieced - far more time consuming, but my sewing will never be as precise as it should be! Too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....progress report! I have decided to modify the pattern to make it easier! I will applique the union jack & add some rows rather than all that partial piecing. You won't be able to tell unless you know the pattern well, IMHO. It will change the dimensions of the white stars, but the union jack she has done is not technically correct, anyway, so that's ok. I think all those extra steps are inviting mistakes for a quilter like me! Anyway, I have done the 27 star blocks & am now piecing the background for the union jack. (n case you haven't had a chance to start, If I had my time again I would have "cheat-pieced" all those HST!) I will be interested to hear of your progress! Cheers Tracy

    ReplyDelete