Monday 27 April 2015

Sew the Library - Mini quilt - My Three



I have been following along with Sew the Library started by Heidi at Fabric Mutt, and now hosted by Martha from Weekend Doings.  I have so many books I have had grand plans to make things from, and have actually made so few, that I have loved the impetus this sew along has given me.


In February I started making the Paper Dolls mini quilt by Amy from the book 'Little Quilts' by Sarah Fielke and Amy Lobsiger of Mrs Schmenkman Quilts.

There are lots of lovely mini quilts in here and a number of people have produced beautiful versions like this one made by Serena at SewGiving.

This is the background before I started to add on the felt semi circles.



I could not resist framing up some of the wee characters in the photos below.  Each of these bricks are cut at 1.5 inches x 3.5 inches


Prior to moving to Perth I worked for the Postal services so I needed to include the little piece below...


The reference to 'Go Make Art' was included for my two daughters and the hen for my mother...


I originally planned to finish this in February.  It has taken me rather longer than anticipated.  But the pleasure is in the making, not the speed!  And I am very happy with the end result.


I loved paper dolls as a child, so the Paper Doll mini quilt was an easy choice.  

The design reminded me of my kids, so I added a third 'boy' doll, smaller than the girls, and choose clothes that roughly reminded me of my kids. In particular, the wee boy had to have star shorts just like my son's favorite pair.


While a number of my carefully chosen background pieces were hidden behind the children, there are several happy accidents that I particularly love.   The chicken on R's shoulder...


The wee mice that ended up sitting on S's head....


And finally that I was able to include some of my hoarded mother-of-pearl buttons


A really fun whimsy that will now hang on my workroom wall and remind me of my lovely kids.   


Linking up with Sew the Library

4 comments:

  1. I love it Anna. You know I love the special meanings in all your work.
    Clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous mini quilt! I love how you have added so many little touches to it - just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I love all the little details you added on the piecing of the background. It is absolutely gorgeous.
    Thank you for linking up to Sew the Library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece! I love the whimsy. Thank you for sharing. I know you will get great joy from it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete