Friday 15 May 2015

WIP - Left of Centre for E




I am making slow but steady progress on a quilt for my lovely niece E, who sadly and very unexpectedly lost her father last year.

I started this quilt in February.  Here it is still up on my design wall.  Fabrics were carefully collated around a t-shirt and bush singlet of her fathers both seen below, (top left, top centre and bottom centre).


We were delighted to find the fabulous large flower in the photos above and below, while shopping.  This fabric really set the colour palette.



Then a couple of other fabrics pulled out the colours in the t-shirt and flowers, including blue and green which she wanted.  These colours, and some of the designs remind me of trees, water, and the New Zealand native bush that she and her parents love.

I finished sewing the quilt top together in April.  I am using mid blue minky on the back, with batting, as she lives in a cold city while she is attending Uni, so the warmth and weight will be useful.  It should also make the quilt like a big warm hug.


Also on the back is her baby cuddle rug - the red fabric seen above. 

The quilting is progressing slowly but steadily.  Next step is to find a way to get it safely back to New Zealand.  It has so many precious fabrics in it I don't want to trust it to the postal service!



1 comment:

  1. Oh Anna, what a truly beautiful gift this will be for your niece. Lots of memories wrapped up in one special piece. I hope you find that reliable way to transport it to NZ ... perhaps you will just have to fly there yourself!

    ReplyDelete